In 2015 The Iowa Supreme Court established the Iowa Guardianship and Conservatorship Reform Task Force. The Task Force has seventy-two members from throughout the state including:
- judges and other judicial branch personnel,
- guardians and conservators,
- financial institutions and bonding companies,
- advocates for older adults with Alzheimer’s and other dementias,
- advocates for adults with intellectual disabilities, mental illnesses, and brain injuries,
- advocates for vulnerable children and families,
- staff of state and local agencies,
- clinicians and service providers, and
- legal academics.
The Task Force identified serious problems and deficiencies in the guardianship and conservatorship system. After extensive deliberations the Task Force issued its final report with 272 recommendations to address these problems and deficiencies.